Monday, October 31, 2016

Election Essay

As we have discussed in lecture following the three presidential debates, both Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump have become caricatures in this election.  It almost seems as if they are no longer human beings, but instead characters that are frequently plastered all over the news.   Television shows such as Saturday Night Live have been taking advantage of this current political state.  Two key issues that have resonated with me are immigration and women’s health.  Clinton’s stance on these two issues has been crucial for me in deciding which candidate will receive my vote in this upcoming election.
            My father’s side of my family emigrated from Italy in the 1970s in an effort to create a better life for themselves, essentially chasing the American Dream.  Although it was a difficult and lengthy process, they succeeded in their goal of citizenship.  In the third debate, Clinton quoted Trump when he said “all undocumented immigrants will be subject to deportation,” and while I agree that some immigrants could be a threat to the safety of our country, they should not all be painted as criminals.  Clinton stated that her plan includes border security and deporting only the “violent persons.”  Although I do believe that immigration should be more regulated, I agree that this country thrives off of different cultures of others, and I do not agree with Trump’s notorious plan to build a wall around our borders.  Even though Clinton’s plan for immigration reform laws, I appreciate that her stance still encourages what America was founded on. 
In the case of women’s health and more specifically abortions, I could not even entertain Trump’s argument in the third debate.  I am not a “one-issue voter” however this issue was at the forefront of my decision in deciding which candidate to vote for.  I grew up in a rather conservative, Christian home, however, with this issue, I am primarily and solely influenced by science.  I completely disagree with Trump’s beliefs about abortions and women’s health.  His “argument” in the third debate was blatantly using scare tactics against voters that had no supporting factual evidence or knowledge.  Furthermore, after the final debate, doctors have stated that a “9th month abortion” does not exist.  As he has previously mentioned in interviews, women who get abortions and doctors who perform them, should be administered some form of punishment.  This is utterly disturbing to me since it should be no one’s choice but the woman’s in that situation.  I do not understand how this private and personal decision should be influenced by the government to this extent.  When it was Trump’s turn to answer the question about abortion, he continued his usual ramblings, only this time using fear to incite a response.  Clinton’s response on the other hand, was passionate, direct, and powerful.  She displayed knowledge and empathy towards this issue, which was in line with my views.
What was most disconcerting and frustrating about the debates was the sheer lack of substance in the first two debates.  Both included a substantial amount of name calling and squabbling over irrelevant details.  However, all three of the debates showcased each candidate’s level of preparation.  Clinton performed well, as any politician would.  She came prepared with facts and data to support her arguments and was able to formulate her responses in a coherent manner.  As Trump flaunts himself as a businessman, I would have thought he would be more skilled in persuasion and arguing with a purpose.  Instead, his arguments frequently included ad hominem attacks littered throughout the first, second, and third presidential debates.  I admired Clinton’s professionalism and tact while she was interrupted by Trump throughout all of the debates.  After watching the debates, I agree with Clinton’s stances on these important issues and believe that ultimately, she is the best option for the next president of the United States. 

Sources

Three Presidential Debates

No comments:

Post a Comment